Santorini / The Cable Car
Santorini Cable Car in Fira the Capital - Tel: +30 2286 0 22977
Loula & Evangelos Nomikos Foundation
- “Loula & Evangelos Nomikos Foundation” was established in 1979 by the ship owner Evangelos Nomikos who gave all the expenses for the Cable Car purchase and installation.
- In addition to all the other offers, E. Nomikos has contributed much to Thira island.
- He mediated the transportation problem of the locals and the thousands of tourists who visit it every year and decided to offer one of the most developed works of the Cyclades province.
Aims & Purposes
- Its purpose is (according to the foundation's constitution), to help the communities in developmental works.
- The Cable Car now belongs to the 14 communities of Santorini and this way the Greek regional administration is given a successful example of self management.
- This is achieved without ignoring the traditional mule drivers who have offered so much, giving a unique beautiful sight to the island.
- The foundation approaches them with sympathy and compensation, paying them a percentage of the ticket price in order to help this tradition to survive.
- Santorini's Cable Car serves 1200 persons per hour totally and is constructed by Doppelmayr® according to the Austrian Regulations.
- The proceeds from the tickets are given to the island's Communities for the execution of development work.
Did You Know?
- .. that the cable car travels up the path and in three minutes time you're comfortably in the beautiful town of Fira, Santorini's capital,which is at the altitude of 220 meters.
VIEWS OF THE DESCENT
VIEWS OF THE BAY