|The castle could be only entered at one point,
the 'Porta', above which obtruded a square structure with an
opening at the bottom part from which the inhabitants of the
castle could pour burning oil on invaders. This structure no
longer exists. Like all the other castles of Santorini, one
can find a church close the entrance, in this instance, the
church of Agia Theodosia. Below the castle there used to be
a system of passageways, used for protection or even escape
in times of need.
Within the castle walls, on the west side, one comes upon
the church 'Theotokaki' or 'Koimisis of Theotokou' (Assumption),
believed to have been built in the 10th century. Through the
years, many additions have been made to the church. The church
houses valuable icons and a wooden temple. The main icon of
the Assumption was stolen in 1983.
Also important is the Church of Eisodion of Theotokou, found
at the highest point of the castle. It was built in 1660-1661,
and on Easter Good Friday, the most important service of the
Lamentations in Pyrgos is held there.
In the surrounding areas of Kasteli a new town has been built,
which in the past was called 'Exoporta' or 'Outside Door'
by the locals.
The square in front of the entrance of Kasteli was called
'Ypsilos Kafenes' or 'The Coffee Shop High Up', where the
aristocrats used to gather. Nowadays the square houses a memorial
plaque to those who fell in the Balkan and Greek Turkish wars
of 1912 - 1921. The church of Agios Nikolaos can also be found
in the square.
Although there are many reports that Pyrgos was the capital of Santorini in the mid 18th century,
the truth is that Pyrgos has never been the island's capital.