In Medieval times, Akrotiri was one of the 'kastelia'
on the island.
It was named 'La Ponta'. In the middle of the
settlement stood the 'Goulas' of Akrotiri, which severely
damaged during the 1956 earthquake, although prior to that
it was in very good condition.
In 1336 Akrotiri was given to the Gozzadini family by the
Duke of Naxos Nikolas Sanudo.
The Gozzadini family originated
The fact that they came from this town in Italy
and not from Venice, which was at war with the Ottoman Empire,
combined with the powerful defense position of the castle,
permitted the Gozzadinis to keep the castle in their possession
for a long period of time, even during the occupation of Santorini
by the Turks.
Eventually the castle fell to the Turks at the turn of 1617.